The foundation of the Skill Acquisition Phase is built upon:
At this age the children are ready for a more structured approach to training.
In every session the focus is on one of the core skills, from the beginning until the end of the session (“theme based sessions”).
To learn more about the Skill Acquisition Phase please click HERE.
The emphasis in the Skill Acquisition Phase is on Skill Development but this can/should not be separated from developing insight/game understanding at the same time.
If this approach is applied properly, it will provide a seamless transition into the Game Training Phase.
This principle also relates to the concept of Small Sided Football and appropriate coach behaviour (refer to chapter 3):
During the Skill Acquisition Phase, 2-3 sessions of 60-75 minutes plus a game
is a safe weekly workload, with the following session planning guidelines:
With 3 sessions per week our advice is to limit the duration of the sessions to 60 minutes and rest the players the day before as well as the day after the game.
So, with a game on Saturday, we recommend a training session on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
The FFA Skill Acquisition training program focuses upon developing four core skills when in possession of the ball:
These four core skils cover 95% of the actions of any outfield player when in possession of the ball during a game of football . The other 5% consists of actions such as heading and throw-ins.
For more information about the Four Core Skills see the Skill Acquisition Phase section beneath 'About the Curriculum'.